Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Preening as Policy

Along with Tuesday's release of the 2010 Nuclear Posture Review , the Obama Administration announced that it was altering our nuclear declaratory policy by severely limiting the instances in which nuclear weapons might be used. Specifically, the Administration pledged not to use nuclear weapons against any nation that abides by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, no matter what they might otherwise do to us. In other circumstances, and from a different Administration, this dramatic shift in policy might have been interpreted as a bold initiative born of strength, or even a grudging bow to necessity. But sadly, in this case it was neither.

In yesterday's post I shared with you an old saw of mine: Liberals confuse self-hatred for selflessness. In that particular instance, happily, the animating occasion was simply an article published in the Canadian press about the silly consequences of political correctness for that country. Well, my adage holds true, but unfortunately the occasion here is far more serious.

Let me be crystal clear, the twisted rationale for the new policy is precisely this: The United States is a morally culpable nation, guilty for the mere possession of nuclear weapons, even more so for the large numbers. Forswearing the use of them in all but the most severely limited circumstances is an act of penance for the country's innumerable sins. Pledging this publicly and with great fanfare is an instance of moral preening. "I'm a sinner, look at me. I'm asking for forgiveness, look at me. I'm beating myself with a whip, look at me." There is only one word to describe this behaviour. Sick.

You read that correctly, our new policy is chiefly a symptom of a suicidal sickness. It is weak, it invites contempt, and it encourages the very challenge the former policy was designed to deter and to deny. God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment