Thursday, November 18, 2010

While I'm at it...

One thing about this uproar over the body-scanning and frisking does puzzle me a bit, however. 

We were attacked on 9/11.  Many thousands of Americans were killed.  Moreover, several other attempts at similar violence and murder via airline travel have been attempted.  As a result, I, for one, am prepared to give the government a bit more constitutional latitude in this particular area.  After all, however clumsily they may be doing it, it is still broadly consistent with "providing for the common defence."

What I can't figure is why similar outrage is not expressed when the government, local, state, or federal, moves to control, for example, the amount of salt or trans-fats permitted in your food, where, and even if you can smoke, not to mention the provision of the nation's health-care delivery system.  Because the control of these items, and countless others like them, seem more or less benign, I find their takeover even more of a threat to our liberty.

But in this, I suspect I'm mostly just talking to myself.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment