Saturday, December 18, 2010

What Have We Wrought?

I'm guessing that by now you've heard about the fellow who broke into a school board meeting in Florida and opened fire.  He eventually killed himself, but only after being confronted and shot at by a security guard.  A comment made by the guard to the press after the fact is telling:
The first time I shot him, he had his back to me...and I was like 'I'm going to jail,'" Jones said. "I've been an investigator for 20 years and then a policeman for 35 years altogether, and it still ran through my mind. I couldn't help it.
This fellow's heroic action should be an occasion for unqualified celebration.  Instead, we have created, or tolerated the creation of, an environment in which not only does the guard question himself after the fact, but even during the crisis, he hesitates.  Had he hesitated just a moment more, innocent people might have been killed.

An environment such as this has to change...and it will.  The Great Reckoning continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment