Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Not So Wise Latina Woman

Look, I suspect I disagree with our next to latest Supreme Court Justice, Sonia Sotomayor, over just about everything, but she seems a likable person nonetheless.

So, if she'll accept it, I'd like to offer her a friendly piece of advice:  While I don't doubt for a moment that there's a double standard in the nomination and confirmation process for women, vice men, who aspire to a seat on the highest court in the land, even if this is true (I'll confess, I'm more than a bit dubious), Justice Sotomayor might just want to keep her mouth shut.  Ms. Sotomayor:
You know, and I don't mean to be graphic, but one day after I'd been questioned endlessly, for weeks at a time, I was so frustrated by the minutiae of what I was being asked about and said to a friend, 'I think they already know the color of my underwear...There were private questions I was offended by. I was convinced they were not asking those questions of the male applicants.
Justice Sotomayor simply must be smart enough to know that whatever her professional qualifications as a judge, the fact that she is a women was more, much more, in her favor than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment