Thursday, April 19, 2012

What DO Liberals Want?

One suspects that question has no answer, no final answer anyway.

The American Spectator's R. Emmett Tyrrell, Jr. was thinking about the differences between liberals and conservatives when he came across a column by the British political philosopher Roger Scruton in which Scruton asserted this:
My own view is that left-wing positions largely come about from resentment -- I agree with Nietzsche about this -- a resentment about the surrounding social order. They have privileges, I don't. Or, I have them and I can't live up to them. Things should be organized differently. And there's always some sense on the left that power is in the wrong hands.
Tyrrell agrees and offers even more concision:
That comports very well with my long-held thesis that there is only one political value that all liberals through the generations continue to profess. It is not personal liberty. It is not public order. It is disturbing the peace.
When I, as a conservative, scream that I want mostly just to be left alone, what I really mean is that I want liberals to leave me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment