Monday, September 10, 2012

If You're Interested in Such Things

I hear there's a film adaptation of Jack Kerouac's On the Road in the works.  Not sure I'll go see it.  I finally got around to reading the famous book about 20 years ago.  I didn't get it.

However, maybe you did and even if you didn't you might be interested still in this short piece by Robert Dean Lurie.  He makes a case for Kerouac' essential conservatism and, to me, it rings true. 

A dear friend of the family is, like Kerouac, a French Canadian from Lowell, Massachusetts and her late husband grew up with him there, mostly playing baseball together.  It seems Kerouac was a decent athlete too.  When I first learned of this many years ago, I asked him about the famous Beat writer and I remember him smiling with a touch of sadness and saying something like, "He was a good guy, drank too much."  Unfortunately, he passed away not long thereafter and I was never able to probe any further his relationship with him.

Anyway, if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment